Gallerist, furniture designer and avid cook Omer Nabi share’s his special cherry tomato sauce, which you can use in pastas or any recipe requiring tomato sauce!
- 1 kg cherry tomatoes (or 1 kg regular tomatoes with skins removed)
- 12 basil leaves (cut in half)
- 1 heaped tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only) OR 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 level teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 level teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ oz good quality extra virgin olive oil
Put all ingredients in a baking dish. Put in oven in medium to high heat. Roast for about 30-40 minutes till the mixture has been boiling/roasting for at least 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Take about 15% of sauce and put aside. Blend the rest into a smooth consistency with a hand held blender or a normal blender. Mix the unblended sauce with the blended sauce. Reserve for pastas or any tomato sauce required for any recipe!
- Serve this with boiled spaghetti or penne. Garnish with fresh basil and/or thyme and some fresh cherry tomatoes cut in half. Also garnish with crispy fried garlic slivers.
- You may also sauté a chicken breast. Cut it in pieces and serve over the sauce.
- This sauce makes an excellent accompaniment to fried chicken/prawns.
- Also makes a great base for roasted tomato soup.